Mental Health & Wellbeing
Mental Health at Work & First Aid Training
At Bodycare Workplace Solutions, understanding bodies and injury prevention is our business. We have seen firsthand how poor physical condition can impact our mind. We also know the reverse to be true. We are passionate about the connection between a healthy body and healthy mind and aim to provide our partners with proactive tools to ensure their workforce remains safe, fit and healthy…in every aspect.
It is estimated that at any point in time, one in five working age people will be suffering from a mental health condition and 45 per cent of Australians will experience a mental health or substance-use disorder in their lifetime. It is also estimated that Mental Health costs Australian businesses $11 billion per year. Given these alarming statistics, this is an issue that workplaces (and society) can no longer afford to ignore. The good news is that a recent study conducted by PWC estimates that every dollar spent on creating a Mentally Health Workplace, will create a return on investment of $2.30. Not to mention the positive impact these initiatives will have on individuals, employee engagement and workplace culture.
What are you doing to improve the mental health of your workforce?
Mental illness affects each person differently and can significantly impact on the individual, their family, friends and work colleagues. Supporting mental health issues in the workplace and creating mentally healthy workplaces can be achieved in a number of different ways. Some of our programs are listed below, but just like we are all different, so are organisations and we know that one size does not fit all.
A tailored mental health seminar or program may be best for your organisation. At Bodycare we can deliver seminars that are customised to address a specific mental health issue that is relevant to your workforce or we offer broad programs to raise awareness about mental illness. We also offer programs that are focused on providing individuals with the tools to thrive and flourish at work. Whatever your needs, using our team of experts in this field, we can create a program to ensure you are being proactive about the mental health of your workforce.
Mindful Employer Workshop & Introduction to Emotional Intelligence & Building Personal Resilience
Presented in partnership between SANE Australia and Bodycare Workplace Solutions, this full day workshop combines two modules to assist managers and leaders in managing Mental Health in the workplace and provides an introduction to Emotional Intelligence and how the development of greater personal resilience can improve your overall well being and effectiveness in the workplace.
- Prevalence of mental illness
- What is mental illness –understanding the different types, symptoms and available treatments
- Understanding and recognising symptoms
- Stigma relating to mental illness
- How to help within the boundaries of your role at work
- Common workplace situations and helpful responses –what to do as opposed to what not to do
- Information and skills on managing an employee who is living with a mental illness
- Workplace adjustments
- SANE speaker presentation
- Introduction to the science of emotions
- Exploring principles of how the mind, brain and biological systems work together to affect health
- Explanation of Emotional Intelligence (EI) and the skills that helps us apply EI in the workplace
- Explanation of the link between the way people feel and the way people perform and are engaged at work
- What is ‘good’ mental health?
- Understanding Stress… the good and the bad
- Understanding the impact of stress on our body, emotions, thought processes and behaviours
- Understanding the factors that contribute to our personal resilience
- Introduction to building emotional resilience techniques and practical skills to enhance the ability to remain optimistic under pressure and lead to greater productivity and performance at work
Mental Health Literacy: Mental Health & Illness at Work
During this seminar we explore the broad spectrum of mental health, from mental illness through to flourishing at work. The signs and symptoms of the most common mental illnesses will be examined and how these may present in the workplace. This seminar discusses the impact of mental health and provides participants with a good knowledge base about mental health in the community and in the workplace. A great course to start a general conversation about mental health.
Mental Health as a Safety Issue – Understanding and Recognising Psychosocial Issues in the Workplace and Creating a Mentally Healthy Workplace
Historically, Mental Health has been seen as ‘someone else’s problem’ in the workplace. We are now seeing a positive shift towards psychological hazards being managed proactively, in the same way as physical health and wellbeing.
- Psychological hazards as a Work Health and Safety issue and discusses the various legislative obligations that are relevant to managing mental health in the workplace.
- Recognition of psychosocial risk factors in the workplace.
- The link between mental and physical health: learn how a mentally healthy workplace can improve the physical resilience of employees, and reduce the duration and severity of physical injury.
- Strategies to create a mentally health workplace: Ways to maintain and manage good mental health both in the workplace and at home.
Understanding the Mind-Body Connection: Introduction to Mindfulness
At Bodycare, understanding bodies and injury prevention is our business. We are passionate about the connection between a healthy body and healthy mind and aim to provide our partners with proactive tools to ensure their workforce remains safe, fit and healthy…in every aspect.
- Exploring principles of how the mind, brain and biological systems work together to affect health.
- What is ‘good’ mental health?
- How to flourish in the workplace – using the principles of Positive Psychology.
- Introduction to mindfulness – introduction to the theory and practice of mindfulness, including why it is crucial for health, productivity and happiness.
- Discussion of ‘mindless’ moments, the truth around multi-tasking, relevant research and practice of mindfulness exercises.
- Next steps for creating a regular practice of mindfulness.
Understanding the way emotions can influence employee engagement, productivity, stress and performance in the workplace is critical to achieving a positive workplace culture.
- Introduction to the science of emotions.
- Explanation of Emotional Intelligence (EI) and the skills that help us apply EI in the workplace.
- The business case for EI: explanation of the link between the way people feel and the way people perform at work.
- The relationship between EI, resilience, stress and engagement.
- Practical tips for improving EI and developing personal resilience.
- Optional: EI Self-Assessment or 360-degree EI Assessment with debrief.
Building Resilience in the Workplace
- Understanding stress… the good and the bad.
- Understanding the impact of stress on our body, emotions, thought processes and behaviours.
- Recognising the warning signs of excessive stress at work and common causes of excessive workplace stress.
- Explore the most common workplace stresses and challenges and cover the reasons why they can impact us profoundly.
- Understanding the effects of uncontrolled stress.
- Strategies to manage stress.
- Understanding the factors that contribute to our personal resilience.
- Introduction to building emotional resilience techniques and practical skills to enhance the ability to remain optimistic under pressure and lead to greater productivity and performance at work.