MENTAL HEALTH AND WELLBEING SERVICES
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
Akin to our expectation of physical first aid, MHFA is the help given to someone where there is concern that they may be developing a mental health problem, or experiencing a mental health crisis. This two day accredited course teaches participants about common mental health issues, and has been found to increase their knowledge, awareness and skills. Upon completion of the course, some organisations have introduced Mental Health First Aid Officers, in the same way they have First Aid Officers.
Tailored workplace scenarios, exercises and video training materials are used to assist learning so that participants complete the program with greater confidence and ability to help. Simple communication and engagement strategies, based on international evidence, are taught that allow the Mental Health First Aider to provide support and information, encourage the person to seek appropriate professional help, and promote the use of other supports.
Whilst the program is offered over two days, this can be structured in a number of ways. All participants receive a copy of the MHFA Manual and a Certificate of Completion. Participants can also complete an online competency assessment following the course and will receive a 3 year accreditation.
MHFA Course Details
Participants learn the signs and symptoms of mental health problems, where and how to get help and what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective. The program is offered over two days and covers four modules. All participants receive a copy of the MHFA Manual and a Certificate of Completion.
- Mental Illness: the prevalence and impact
- Mental Illness intervention techniques
- Depression- the signs, symptoms and the risk factors
- How to intervene when you see signs of depression?
- Crisis first aid for panic attacks
- Crisis first aid after traumatic events
- First aid for anxiety problems
- Psychosis: the signs, symptoms and the risk factors
- How to intervene when you see signs of psychosis?
- Crisis first aid for suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Crisis first aid for non-suicidal self-injury
- First aid for depression
- Anxiety: the signs, symptoms and the risk factors
- How to intervene when you see signs of anxiety?
- Crisis first aid for severe psychotic states
- First aid for psychosis
- Substance misuse: the signs, symptoms and the risk factors
- How to intervene when you see signs of substance abuse?
- Crisis first aid for severe effects of substance use
- Crisis first aid for aggressive behaviour
- First aid for substance use problems
Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds, Healthy Business
Upcoming Public Courses
Bodycare will be hosting a 2 day Mental Health First Aid course. All participants receive a copy of the MHFA Manual to keep and a Certificate of Completion.
26th & 27th July – Melbourne
Cost: $560 per person excl. GST
Alternatively, if you are interested in running a Mental Health First Aid course for your employees Bodycare can tailor a program to suit your organisations needs. Contact Claire Ebstein for more information email@example.com