Mental Health & Wellbeing
Mental Health First Aid for Legal Professionals
Akin to our expectation of physical first aid, MHFA is the help given to someone where there is concern that they may be developing a mental health problem, or experiencing a mental health crisis. This two day accredited course teaches participants about common mental health issues, and has been found to increase their knowledge, awareness and skills. Upon completion of the course, some organisations have introduced Mental Health First Aid Officers, in the same way they have First Aid Officers.
Tailored workplace scenarios, exercises and video training materials are used to assist learning so that participants complete the program with greater confidence and ability to help. Simple communication and engagement strategies, based on international evidence, are taught that allow the Mental Health First Aider to provide support and information, encourage the person to seek appropriate professional help, and promote the use of other supports.
Whilst the program is offered over two days, this can be structured in a number of ways. All participants receive a copy of the MHFA Manual and a Certificate of Completion. Participants can also complete an online competency assessment following the course and will receive a 3 year accreditation.
What is a Mentally Healthy Workplace?
A mentally healthy workplace minimises harm and promotes protective factors for all employees, providing them with an open and supportive environment that promotes positive cultures conducive to mental wellbeing.
The cost of mental illness on your business
It is estimated that Mental Health conditions cost Australian businesses $11 billion per year. A recent study conducted by PWC estimates that every dollar spent on creating a Mentally Health Workplace, will create a return on investment of $2.30. Not to mention the positive impact these initiatives will have on individuals, employee engagement and workplace culture.
MHFA for Legal Professionals Course Details
What do course participants learn?
- How to recognise signs and symptoms of different mental health problems and crises in your employees and co-workers including depression, anxiety problems, eating disorders, psychosis, substance abuse problems and suicidal thoughts and behaviours.
- Risk factors and appropriate evidence-based treatment and supports.
- How to respond and offer appropriate support to employees and co-workers using the Mental Health First Aid Action Plan ALGEE.
This course has been tailored for legal professionals in how to assist a co-worker who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. Course participants will learn mental health first aid skills that can be applied to help any adult. Course content is structured specifically for legal professionals, using case studies, videos and resources tailored to their learning needs.
- Participants first complete an interactive self-paced e-learning component that presents an overview of mental health problems and mental health crises
- Takes 6-8 hours to complete
Face to Face Training:
- Course participants then attend a 4 hour follow-on face to face training course run by an accredited Bodycare Mental Health First Aid Facilitator
- Allows revision and consolidation of skills in a group environment
The question is, when will you start the mental health conversation in your workplace?”
How to book
For more information or to arrange a blended Mental Health First Aid course for your organisation, please contact:
1300 222 639